Troy Warren for CNT #Celebrations
NATIONAL CROISSANT DAY
In the United States, National Croissant Day recognizes a flaky pastry enjoyed at every meal. Croissants are buttery, crescent-shaped rolls that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
The key to a perfect croissant is laminating the dough. You laminate the dough by folding butter into the mixture creating multiple thin layers of butter and dough. The result is a mouth-watering flaky crust and airy body.
Legend surrounds this pastry, as is often the case with a popular, worldly treat. What is known, is that crescent-shaped breads have been found around the world for ages. One of these was the Kipferl which originated in Austria as far back as the 13th century. This nonlaminated bread is more like a roll.
Credit for the croissant we know today is given to an Austrian military officer, August Zang. In 1839 he opened a Viennese bakery in Paris introducing France to Viennese baking techniques.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalCroissantDay
- Give your favorite baker a shout-out.
- Treat your friends and coworkers to fresh-baked, warm croissants.
- Bake your own croissants. Try one of these recipes: Croissants Recipe or Chicken Salad.
- Take a baking class to learn to make these delicious, flaky pastries yourself!
- Offer a class. That’s right! Pass on the skill to others who want to learn.
- Offer a special in your bakery, restaurant, or store.
- Try a new recipe. Make a soup or salad that goes well with croissants.
Use #NationalCroissantDay to post on social media.
NATIONAL CROISSANT DAY HISTORY
The earliest we’ve found the observance being celebrated is in 2006.
Q. What tastes good on a croissant?
A. Croissants can be both savory and sweet so there are many toppings and spreads that can be added to them. On the savory side of things, consider a chicken or crab salad and make a sandwich. Add some bean sprouts, a little parmesan cheese and you’ll have the perfect lunch sandwich. Croissants also taste delicious with a little honey, jam or clotted cream. Of course, another good go-to for your croissant is smear of butter.
Q. Are croissants a type of yeast bread?
A. Yes. Croissant recipes include yeast.
Q. How many calories are in a croissant?
A. Croissants range in size but a medium croissant contains about 230 calories.