Troy Warren for CNT #Celebrations
NATIONAL CHEESE DOODLE DAY
National Cheese Doodle Day on March 5th marks an annual celebration where fingers turn a cheesy orange as we snack on these flavorful treats! Found all across the country, these cheddar cheese-coated snacks come in puffed or crunchy, fried or baked. They also come in single-serving or jumbo-sized packaging.
The actual inventor of Cheese Doodles is under debate. Generally, the credit goes to a man named Morrie Yohai who made a variety of extruded snack foods in the 1940s for his family’s company called Old London Foods. Other sources show patents for similar products in the 1930s and still other competing accounts in Wisconsin and New Orleans as well.
However they came to be, they are here. Their crunchy, orange deliciousness is enjoyed around the world! They come in a variety of shapes, sizes and flavors and 15 million pounds are produced annually.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalCheeseDoodleDay
- Celebrate National Cheese Doodle Day by adding the orange-y snack to your lunch.
- You can also include cheese doodles in your recipes.
- Crush them up and use them as breading for fried fish.
- Top homemade mac and cheese with crushed cheese doodles for added crunchy flavor.
- What recipes will you create using cheese doodles?
- Grab a bag (or tub) of cheese doodles and use #NationalCheeseDoodleDay to post on social media.